An actor is someone who plays a character in a play, film, commercial, and radio. A talented actor can follow direction, script or visually create entertaining moments for an audience. Being an actor includes a wide range of activities including the following:
- Memorizing lines
- Practice scenes during rehearsals
- Going to auditions and open casting calls
- Performing in front of a live audience or in front of a camera
- Working with a talent agent
- Practicing acting skills through different acting techniques
- Promoting on social media
How much does an actor get paid?
- Acting is an artistic career, and like many creative jobs, work can come unexpectedly and can vary widely. The skill of an actor and the demand for talent can affect how much money they will get paid and how much money they can earn.
- Top actors get paid millions of dollars for a single appearance in a major motion picture
A background actor or extra can expect to get paid between minimum wage to well over $500/day depending on the production.
- Some actors can get paid by the hour, and it is not unheard of some actors to get paid very low or not at all.
- The majority of actors earn less than $20,000 a year from acting, and only a small group of actors make over $100,000 a year.
- Actors often have to supplement their acting career with other forms of income, and it is often difficult to make a living only from working as an actor.
What responsibilities does an actor have?
- Actors main goal is to express a character through different behavioral expressions, movements, and activities.
- Actors have to use their body, voice, and language to play a character.
- Actors have to create a reaction in an audience.
- Most actors have to work with other actors under the direction of a director, who coordinates the scene and how the actors interact with one another.
- While some actors may do well with improvisational work, most actors work from a script.
- A script has lines, which must be memorized, practiced and used on the day of the performance.
How do you become an actor with no experience?
Getting into actor does not necessarily require any formal training. Many famous actors have gotten their start without any acting classes. However, different schools offer programs to help solidify an aspiring actor acting skills. That said, many acting schools are incredibly competitive. Many courses are similar to obtaining a degree and take multiple years of full-time study. The most popular classes are in acting, drama or musical theater and acceptance into these programs often include:
- Experience in acting
- Completing a high school degree
Without obtaining a college degree in acting, the second best option would be the following:
- Gain experience acting in local productions
- Take acting classes and workshops from non-degree educational institutions